Sunday, July 6, 2014

Where I Am, and Where I Want To Go

What do I already know about teaching volume?

In the state of Wisconsin volume is discussed throughout 6th-12th grades. In middle school, students learn about right rectangular prisms and are first introduced to the formulas for that shape. 7th graders begin to look at other shapes including those composed of triangles, quadrilaterals, polygons, cubes, and right prisms. In 8th grade they are introduced to cylinders, cones, and spheres. High school students go a little deeper and are supposed to be able to explain the volume formulas and use them to solve problems. They should also be able to visualize relationships between 2D and 3D objects (a challenging task, as discussed in my previous post: About This Blog). High school students are also introduced to modeling with geometry which can only happen if the first topics, such as volume, are taught effectively.

I know that there are many methods in existence that can be used to teach volume. One example are CMP (Connected Mathematics Project1) lesson plans that use hands-on activities and visuals to help students see what is going on. While this seems like a great start, I think there is a way to incorporate literacy into the hands-on activities in order to help solidify what the students are learning. 

What more do I want to know about the topic?

I want to learn what kinds of questions can be asked of my students in order to increase their literacy in the topic of volume.

I want to know the different methods that are currently utilized to teach volume in secondary classrooms.

What kind of info, beyond the formulas, should be taught about volume in a geometry classroom? Further, in what ways can you get the students to be able to effectively explain the volume formulas?
  
Resources for Further Research and Classroom-Friendly Texts
Here are some great resources for teaching volume. Check them out below!


This resource has some interactive features and examples using visuals that the students can also use in the classroom for a hands-on experience.
http://www.assessmentservices-edu.com/Base-Ten-Blocks.aspx

    I really liked the quiz factor on this website as well as the rotating 3D figures.


      Pinterest has some fun ideas for teaching volume. This resource could be targeted at the crafty students!

    There are some useful videos on this site that seem like a great resource.

      Some volume games that look like a lot of fun!


2 comments:

  1. I liked how you stated what is expected at each grade level, and listed out some of the challenging parts. Also I loved that you included CMP lessons and what they can offer. But more importantly I liked how you challenged the hands on activities to included some aspects of literacy. As for what you want to know I think looking for great questions to ask students is a great idea. Coming up with good questions can be difficult. Also I think your resources are great and I loved how you included links and images for all of them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you talked about what the students are expected to learn in each grade. This shows that you have done your homework but it also helps me see the level of progression that is expected of the students at each grade level. I also like the questions you are seeking to answer; I think they are great ways for you to become a more well rounded teacher. I also think that in finding these answers you are going to come across a lot of different strategies which you can then pick and choose what will work best for you or your class. I think another thing you could look further into is trying to find out how the topic of volume can be crossed with other subjects. I think if you do this you will be able to reach into student's interests which could help them learn such a complex topic.

    ReplyDelete