Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Visualizing Meaning via Screencast

Part I:
Screencast about different volume formulas that are important to be aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke8n2ep4tc8&feature=youtu.be

Part II:
Since I am exploring volume I thought it would be useful to have a summary of some important, and frequently used, volume formulas. I was not quite sure how I wanted to get my message across or what details I wanted to include so I got started with 4 formulas. I wanted my visualization project to go beyond words on a page (since volume formulas can easily be found in a geometry textbook!) which lead to me using a video of some sort. I liked that PowerPoint had tools that I knew how to use, such as shapes and lines I could use to make the 3D figures, as well as interesting layouts. One thing about PowerPoint that I was unfamiliar with was timing and recording which something I figured would be useful and cool to learn about.

First, I knew it would be important to have a visual of each shape that I was describing. Since it is a video and I was looking at 3D shapes I thought it would be interesting and attention-getting to have the figures rotating. My next step was to write each formula with the corresponding shape. This was about all I thought about up until that part of the project. I realized that there were many aspects of each of these formulas that may be unclear which is why I labeled each figure. My biggest thought that I had mid-project was that not all students would be aware of certain details, such as pi, which is why I added an extra part to the video describing pi and how it is used in this application. At this point I thought the video was coming along fine but needed something else to help get my message across and something that made the video a little more personal and interesting. This is when I decided that recording my voice describing what was going on in each part and explaining the different aspects of each formula would be very helpful. I thought that this would not only help the visual learners but also the auditory learners as well.
                                                                                    

I definitely did not consider certain details about volume formulas when starting this project. I think since I know geometry fairly well myself I thought that these formulas were “easy” and self-explanatory. Once I began drawing out the figures and labeling each part I realized that more explanation was needed for people who were beginners/students. I also did not really consider that some students may not know what to do with pi (such as round it to 3.14) which is why I added that portion of the screencast. Through visualization my understanding of the complexities and components of volume formulas increased. I think if students were to do a project similar to this it would help them feel more comfortable with these formulas. It would also help them visualize the shapes and solidify those in their minds as well. Simply reading these formulas may not be effective for some students. Going beyond the textbook seems like a good way to get the students thinking in a different way. It should also help them with motivation for learning the formulas as well as with remembering them in the future. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you add an element of play and suspense when taking the time to explain what pi is. "Oh wait, what is pi?" This playful tone adds to the viewing experience. I have to admit that I also like the spinning shapes. :)

    ReplyDelete